Monday, June 8, 2015

Out of class Presentation: Addiction, the Impact on Loved Ones

Out of class Presentation: Addiction, the Impact on Loved Ones
            I do group training every workday at Walmart Distribution called “start-up meetings”. Honestly my initial reaction to this assignment was to hand out an evaluation at the beginning of one of these trainings. I knew better than that.
            My “out of class” speech was actually done in our classroom (Boeing) on a weekend after school hours. A group of students met together for the purpose of completing the out of class presentation.
            I had slides and an oral presentation prepared on the impact of drug addiction on the family. I shared a personal story about one of my loved ones who is struggling with addiction. The feedback I received from the evaluation was mostly about my presentation; slides were not up long enough, sometimes I stood in the way of them. My claims were supported within the slides, but the font was too small to read who/ what was represented.

            There was one surprise. The topic of addiction hits close to home, so I had to stop once or twice to gain composure. I didn’t expect that. Since all of my slides were timed, I had to ‘catch up’ to where the slides were; in an effort not to ‘self-check’ I got ahead of some slides. The lesson I learned was; if I am going to use an emotional persuade that is close to the heart, I need to keep my slides set to advance on ‘click’. J

No comments:

Post a Comment